Mediterranean Quinoa (EF, DF, GF, V)
This bright and flavorful mix of mediterranean flavors makes for a great side dish for fish, chicken, or just served cold over greens as a yummy salad!
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups red and yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber chopped
Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, garlic and some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until mixed well. Let sit at room temperature while you make the rest of the dish.
Rinse the quinoa in a strainer, combine the quinoa, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until the quinoa is done, about 15 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl, fluff with a fork and let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add the tomatoes, olives, green onions, peppers, red onions, cucumbers and dressing and toss to coat. I like eating this warm as well as covering and refrigerating over night. Great for dinner and then lunch the next day! If you are a meat eater, this can be served with animal protein as well.